33 Makati barangay chiefs won’t support acting mayor Peña

Some of the transaction windows at the Makati City Hall are shut Friday as supporters of Mayor Junjun Binay occupy the lobby of the building. His supporters gathered in anticipation of authorities serving the suspension order on Binay. (MNS photo)

Some of the transaction windows at the Makati City Hall are shut Friday as supporters of Mayor Junjun Binay occupy the lobby of the building. His supporters gathered in anticipation of authorities serving the suspension order on Binay. (MNS photo)

MANILA, July 1 (Mabuhay) — Acting city mayor Romulo “Kid” Peña, Jr. cannot count on the support of the 33 barangay chiefs in Makati City as he formally assumes the post vacated by suspended Mayor Junjun Binay on Wednesday to heed the Ombudsman’s suspension order.

Kim Reyes, chief of Barangay Kasilawan, said the heads of the City’s 33 barangays will remain loyal to Binay.

“Basta kami as barangay officials gagampanan namin ang aming trabaho sa aming constituents. Kung ipapatawag niya kami, rerespetuhin ko yun pero kung (iha-harass) niya kami, syempre hindi ako papayag,” she said referring to Peña.

Reyes said they were saddened by Binay’s decision to temporarily leave the city hall.

“Siyempre malungkot kami at siyempre masama ang loob namin pero kailangan namin sumunod sa batas kaya yung desisyon ni Mayor Binay, nakasuporta kami doon,” she said.

Reyes added that they have been instructed to tell their supporters to leave the city hall so as to avoid further harassment from the police.

“Pinapauwi na namin dahil hindi na namin hahayaan na masaktan yung supporters namin dahil hina-harass po ng mga pulis,” she said.

Mayor Binay’s supporters have started leaving the city hall premises after two nights of camping out.

Junjun Binay temporarily stepped down from office pursuant to the six-month preventive suspension order issued by the Office of the Ombudsman earlier this week.

In a statement read before his supporters at the Makati City Hall, Binay also apologized for the tension that erupted there on Tuesday as representatives from the Department of Interior and Local Government were serving the suspension order.

At least eight people were hurt in the scuffle.

“Hindi ko na kayang tiisin na may masasaktan pa … kaya ako’y pansamantalang bababa sa aking puwesto. Pero hindi pa tapos ang laban,” Binay said.

“Hindi pa tayo nabibigyan ng CA ng TRO at writ of injunction pero hindi naman dine-deny ng CA,” he added. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts