(MNS Photo)

MANILA, Oct 2 (Mabuhay) — Around 600,000 workers were re-employed in September, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said on Saturday.

He disclosed this after the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) recently reported that unemployment rose to 3.88 million in August amid the implementation of a stricter lockdown to curb the more transmissible Delta coronavirus variant.

“Ngayon lumuluwag na, mukhang mga 600,000 plus na napare-employ,” Bello said.

Bello said displaced workers can still avail of the Department of Labor and Employment’s Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) program.

So far, the Labor chief said there are P3.5 billion funds available for the cash aid that will be given to displaced workers.

Vaccines

Moreover, Bello disclosed that the DOLE was allocated with 500,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines.

These doses will be inoculated to the workers in the construction and manufacturing industries.

“Binigyan ako ng kalahating million na dosage ng vaccine para sa mga construction industry workers including manufacturing industry kaya marami kaming binabakunahang workers,” he said.

(I was given 500,000 doses of vaccines for the construction industry workers, including the manufacturing industry that is why we are inoculating more laborers.)

Bello said he appealed for more vaccines for the overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) who are supposed to leave the country but cannot do so because they were not yet inoculated.

The Labor chief said they were assured by vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. that the vaccines for the OFWs will be given to them. (MNS)

READ NEXT: Unemployment rate shows rough path to economic recovery — DTI