MANILA, Sept 12 (Mabuhay) — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Saturday said 89 barangay chairpersons have been suspended for six months due to anomalies in the distribution of the first tranche of the Social Amelioration Program.
The barangay officials were suspended by the Office of the Ombudsman after the DILG filed complaints against them.
DILG Secretary Eduardo Año directed the mayors of the cities and municipalities to implement the suspension upon receiving the order from the Office of the Ombudsman.
He also directed DILG regional and field officers to ensure the mass suspension is implemented in an orderly manner.
Año thanked Ombudsman Samuel Martires for acting on the DILG’s complaints immediately as this will deliver the message that the department will not tolerate any wrongdoing.
“Naway magsilbing babala ang suspensiyon na ito sa iba pang mga lokal na opisyales. Ang katiwalian ay walang puwang sa ating pamahalaan lalong-lalo pa ngayong panahon ng pandemya,” he said.
“The evidence on record shows that the guilt of these punong barangays is strong and the charges against them involve Serious Dishonesty, Grave Misconduct, Abuse of Authority and Conduct Prejudicial to the Best Interest of the Service which may warrant removal from the service,” the Office of the Ombudsman’s order dated September 2 read.
It added that having the punong barangays stay in office may prejudice the cases they are facing “[so] placing them under preventive suspension for a period of six (6) months pursuant to Republic Act No. 6770 is proper under the premises.”
DILG Undersecretary and spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said the mass suspension of the 89 punong barangays is the first in the country and is the latest in the moves undertaken by the department to address corruption in the implementation of the Social Amelioration Program.
Malaya said the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, under orders from the DILG, has filed criminal cases against 447 individuals for violating Republic Act 3019 (Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act), RA 11469 (Bayanihan Act I), and RA 6713 (Code of Conduct of Government Officials and Employees), among others, for anomalies in the implementation of the Social Amelioration Program.
Of the 447 individuals facing criminal raps, 211 are elected local and barangay officials, 104 are appointed barangay officials and 132 are alleged civilian co-conspirators.
The said cases are now with City and Provincial Prosecutors, the DILG said.
Most of the suspended barangay chairpersons are in Region I, National Capital Region and Region II.
Cordillera Administrative Region and Caraga have the least number of suspended punong barangays, while Region XII has no suspended barangay chairperson.
The Social Amelioration Program gives cash subsidy to qualified beneficiaries to help them cope with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. It was to be given in two tranches.
The DILG released the names of barangay captains included in the list of those suspended by the Office of the Ombudsman:
- Jason C. Dominguez of Barangay Nagsayaoan, Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur
- Marino Cabados Cirilo, Sr. of Barangay Cadacad, Narvacan, Ilocos Sur
- Antonio Delos Santos y Cachero of Barangay Laslasong West, Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur
- Elmer Castillo Abenojar of Barangay Guesset, Naguilian, La Union
- Samuel S. Fernandez of Barangay Gusing Sur, Naguilian, La Union
- Ariel Cayabyab Hiquiana of Barangay San Vicente, San Jacinto, Pangasinan
- Walter Velasco y Bruan of Barangay Cablong, Sta. Barbara, Pangasinan
- Angel Oria Sombrito of Barangay Calanutan, Rosales, Pangasinan
- Lawrence Gilbert Delos Angeles of Barangay Balogo, Binmaley, Pangasinan
- Froilando V. Fernandez of Barangay Gayaman, Binmaley, Pangasinan
- Rogelio Fernandez of Barangay Caloocan Norte, Binmaley, Pangasinan
- Rogelio Fernandez of Barangay Caloocan Norte, Binmaley, Pangasinan
- Cordillera Administrative Region
- Jimmy Cabiao of Barangay Quimloong, Bucay, Abra
- Dennis Felina of Barangay Luzong, Manabo, Abra
- George Frederick Obal of Barangay Apatan, Pinukpuk, Kalinga
- Arnel P Quesada of Barangay Yeban Sur, Benito Soliven, Isabela
- Buenvinido B. Ruiz of Barangay Callangigan, Quezon, Isabela
- Domingo G. Tagufa of Barangay Balug, Tumauini, Isabela
- German G. Vinoya Jr. of Barangay Oscariz, Ramon, Isabela
- Sherwin S. Cadavona of Barangay Calinaoan Malasin, Sto. Tomas, Isabela
- Jessie D. Corpuz of Barangay Baybayog, Alcala, Cagayan
- Marlon A. Abuyuan of Barangay Tallungan, Aparri, Cagayan
- Leodines L. Bautista of Barangay Centro 12, Tuguegarao City
- Samson D. Ebenga of Barangay Abaca, Dupax Del Sur, Nueva Vizacaya
- Wilson Cansino of Barangay San Geronimo, Bagabag, Nueva Vizacaya
- Mario Racoma Y Abujen of Barangay Santo Niño, San Felipe, Zambales
- Willie E. Gutierrez of Barangay Nagpandayan, Guimba, Nueva Ecija
- Lavarnie Gopez Y Pineda of Brgy. Bulaon, City of San Fernando, Pampanga
National Capital Region
- Rogelio Atangan, Jr. of Barangay 9, Zone 2, Pasay City
- Olivia Suarez of Barangay 181, Zone 19, Maricaban, Pasay City
- Leonardo “DJ” Recto of Barangay 11, Zone 2, District 1, Tondo, Manila
- Mario Banal of Barangay 123, Zone 9, District 1, Tondo, Manila
- Romeo Garcia of Barangay 449, Zone 49, District 4, Sampaloc, Manila
- Jonas Z. Bartolome Barangay 418, Zone 4, District 4, Sampaloc, Manila
- Anthony Magno of Barangay 283, Zone 26, District 3, Binondo, Manila
- Nenita Valdez of Barangay Mariblo, San Francisco Del Monte, Quezon City
- Ana Liza Rosero of Barangay Teacher’s Village West, Quezon City
- Ritchie Poblacion of Barangay Quirino 2-B, Project 2, Quezon City
- Remedios A. Reyes of Barangay Sta. Cruz, Pasig City
- Josefino Malicad Jr. of Brgy. II-C, San Pablo City, Laguna
- Gary Remoquillo of Brgy. Landayan, San Pedro City, Laguna
- Rowell Cabuyao Dela Torre of Barangay Ilayang Nangka, Tayabas City, Quezon
- Rodelio Endaya of Brgy. Baybayin, Rosario, Batangas
- Aaron Lubina Villareal of Barangay Villa Cervesa, Oriental Mindoro
- Lodilito D. Bandiola Jr. of Barangay Salvacion, Rizal, Occidental Mindoro
- Imee Malabayas Lara of Barangay Tumapon, Boac, Marinduque
- Leonardo M. Narzoles of Barangay Tabi, Boac, Marinduque
- Omar G Guban of Barangay Batang, Irosin, Pasay Sorsogon
- Medel G Labayan of Barangay Bayabas, Labao, Camarines Norte
- Allan Nevales of Barangay Bagongbong, Minalabac, Camarines Sur
- Anna N. Theresa Losiñada of Barangay Lacag, Daraga, Albay
- Camillo H Hiloma of Barangay Binisitahan Del Sur, Magallanes, Sorsogon
- Eusebio B Lorico of Brgy. Buang, Tabaco City, Albay
- Gresilda R Lumawon of Barangay Mahaba, Ligao City, Albay
- Norma B Bañadera of Barangay Manaet, Bacacay, Albay
- Roger Cantes of Barangay Carayrayan, Tiwi, Albay
- Tezardo M. Tejada of Barangay To-oy, Himamaylan City, Negros Occidental
- Evelyn C. Ta-asan of Barangay 11, Bacolod City, Negros Occidental
- Noli Villarosa of Barangay Tangub, Bacolod City, Negros Occidental
- Kim C. Piramo of Barangay 19, Bacolod City, Negros Occidental
- Romeo Sultan of Barangay Salamanca Toboso, Negros Occidental
- Ruel Sabequil of Barangay Cabungahan, Calatrava, Negros Occidental
- Tito Dipon Barnuevo of Barangay Linao, Panay, Capiz
- Rodolfo Simbajon of Barangay Guio-ang, Guindulman, Bohol
- Mario A. Lamanilao of Barangay Calituban, Talibon, Bohol
- Eugene Zamora of Barangay Taloto, Tagbilaran City, Bohol
- Patricio G. Soco of Barangay Alang-Alang, Mandaue City, Cebu
- Ulysses Raganas of Barangay Linao, Talisay City, Cebu
- Zosima P. Rojo of Barangay Upper, Natimao-an, Carmen, Cebu
- Norman Navarro of Barangay Basak-San Nicolas, Cebu City, Cebu
- Ignacio Cortes II of Barangay Centro, Mandaue City, Cebu
- Mercedita S. Uy of Barangay Cancawas, San Jose, Negros Oriental
- Michael L. Vapor of Brgy. Jordan, Villaba, Leyte
- Esterlina M Jacobe of Brgy. Nasaug, Maasin City
- Jenecita T. Losaria of Brgy. Catalina, Jiabong, Samar
- Efren D. Truelda of Brgy. 13, Catbalogan City, Samar
- Wilfredo Bacarra of Brgy. Masagana, Jiabong, Samar
- Nathan “Bembem” Gabronino of Brgy. Zone 3, Sogod, Southern Leyte
- Jebanie R. Rios of Barangay Buenavista, Palompon, Leyte
- Camilo B Anduyan of Brgy. Tibangan, Iligan City
- Jocelyn B. Janioso of Barangay Mabunga, Baugnon, Bukidnon
- Zosimo Lao Zapico of Brgy. Ampinican, Salay, Misamis Oriental
- Maria T. Te of Barangay Manuel Roxas, Governor Generoso, Davao Oriental
- Josephina Padillo of Barangay Libertad, Bansalan, Davao del Sur
- Aurora C. Benemerito of Barangay Bangkal, Matanao, Davao del Sur
- Noel V. Alo of Barangay Mayo, City of Mati, Davao Oriental
- Apolonio Toledo of Barangay Harada Butal, Padada, Davao del Sur
- Wilfredo M. Membrillos of Barangay Nong Nong, Butuan City. (MNS)