Duterte ‘undecided’ on VFA fate, seeks public opinion

MANILA. Feb 25 (Mabuhay) — “Undecided” on the fate of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the Philippines and the United States (US), President Rodrigo Duterte said he wants public input on the controversial defense deal. In a public address delivered Wednesday...

AFP to abide by Duterte’s final guidance on VFA

MANILA, Nov 6 (Mabuhay) — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Thursday said it would follow President Rodrigo Duterte’s final guidance on the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA). “We will abide fully by the final guidance of the President as regards the...

Duterte not in a hurry to abrogate VFA — Palace

MANILA, Nov 4 (Mabuhay) — President Rodrigo Duterte is in “no immediate rush” to abrogate the country’s Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States, Malacañang said on Wednesday. Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte may postpone for another six...

Sandiganbayan denies Napoles’ bail plea anew

MANILA (Mabuhay) – The Sandiganbayan has denied for the second time the bail plea of Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged mastermind in the supposed pork barrel scam. “Wherefore, accused Janet Lim-Napoles’ petition for bail, filed on July 7, 2014, is hereby denied for lack of merit,”...

Out-on-bail Enrile visits still-detained Jinggoy, Bong Revilla

MANILA (Mabuhay) — Senator Juan Ponce Enrile on Friday dropped by the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame to visit Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr., who continue to be detained on plunder and graft charges related to the P10-billion pork barrel fund scam....

Honasan, Villanueva, 7 others face graft raps over ‘pork’ scam

MANILA, Aug 7 (Mabuhay) – After several delays, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Friday formally filed the graft complaints against the third batch of incumbent and former government officials allegedly involved in the multibillion-peso pork barrel scam. In separate...

Aquino: Justice must be served against corruption

MANILA, July 27 (Mabuhay) – President Benigno Aquino III said Monday that the country will only be able to move on from corruption allegations against erring officials only after justice has been achieved. “May nagsabi na bang sorry sa ginawang katiwalian? Makaka-move on lang...

Jinggoy seeks court permission to visit ailing mother-in-law

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Sen. Jinggoy Estrada on Wednesday filed before the Sandiganbayan Fifth Division an urgent motion to visit his mother-in-law, Estelita Vitug, at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City. In an urgent motion, Estrada, through his lawyers Noel Malaya, asked...

Jinggoy, JV reconciliation in the offing

MANILA, June 23 (Mabuhay) – It seems a reconciliation between Senators Joseph Victor Ejercito and Jinggoy Estrada is in the offing. Ejercito said Tuesday there was an improvement in his relationship with his brother when the latter expressed support for the candidacy of his...

Sandiganbayan chief admits low disposition of cases in 2014 due to ‘pork’ cases

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang on Thursday admitted that hearing cases related to the pork barrel scam took its toll last year on the disposition of other cases pending before the anti-graft court. In a chance interview at the sidelines of...