Foreign, Pinay hostages brought to Davao Oriental – police

MANILA (Mabuhay) — Gunmen holding three foreigners and one Filipina hostage have slipped past a naval cordon and escaped to remote mountains in Mindanao without making ransom demands, police said Wednesday. Elite Army troops were trying to track the bandits while Air Force...

3 gov’t troopers killed in Abu Sayyaf landmine attack

Manila, Philippines |  | Wednesday 3/4/2015 – Islamic extremists in the southern Philippines ambushed a military convoy Wednesday by planting a landmine that killed three soldiers, the latest outbreak of violence as the government cracks down on the militants. The military convoy...

Aquino: Expect ‘significant accomplishments’ in campaign vs. Abu Sayyaf

MANILA (Mabuhay) – President Benigno Aquino on Wednesday said the public can expect “significant accomplishments” in the government’s campaign against the Abu Sayyaf bandit group in the coming weeks. During a forum organized by the Foreign Correspondents Association of the...

Aquino orders relentless offensive vs. Abu Sayyaf

MANILA (Mabuhay) – President Benigno Aquino III wants a relentless hunt against the Abu Sayyaf Group members after the bandits released two German captives last week. In an interview in Leyte, Aquino described the ASG as a problem that already affected the country’s relationship...

German foreign ministry thanks PHL govt for release of hostages

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Germany on Saturday thanked the Philippine government for Friday night’s release of two Germans abducted and held by the Abu Sayyaf since April. In posts on its Twitter account, the German foreign ministry said it was “relieved” to confirm the release of the...

Death toll in assault on militants rises to 26

ZAMBOANGA (AFP) – The Philippines’ military said Thursday the death toll from an assault against Al-Qaeda-linked Islamic militants had risen to 26, with one marine among the dead as troops cleared the combat area. The latest fatalities on the southern island of Jolo bring to 33...

DOJ drops rape complaint vs Vhong, indicts Cedric, Deniece for illegal detention

MANILA, Apr 10 (Mabuhay) – The Department of Justice (DOJ) has dismissed the rape complaint filed by model Deniece Cornejo against Vhong Navarro. At the same time, the DOJ has found probable cause to charge Cedric Lee, Deniece Cornejo, Bernice Lee, Simeon Raz, Fedinand Guerrero,...