DOTC chief promises improved MRT services by 1st quarter of 2016

MANILA (Mabuhay) — Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya assured the Senate Monday that there will be an improvement in the services of Metro Rail Transit (MRT3) as new trains become operational in the first quarter of 2016. “There will be improvement in the service...

130,000 families still in makeshift tents in Tacloban

In November of 2013, a powerful typhoon devastated large sections of Eastern Visayas region, particularly the province of Leyte, killing an estimated 6000 people and washed away the homes of more than 200, 000 families. Despite a P75 billion fund approved last year by Congress...

Aquino praises DPWH: ‘From corruption poster boy to model agency’

MANILA (Mabuhay) – President Benigno Aquino III was all praises for the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) during its anniversary on Monday, even calling it a model agency. “Kung may ahensya sa gobyerno na dapat tularan sa pagpapaginhawa sa kalagayan ng taumbayan,...

A flicker of hope for typhoon victims

The expected arrival next week of Pope Francis in the Philippines, a predominantly Catholic country, will bring both joy and hope to millions of Filipinos who have experienced so much calamities last year. After all the powerful typhoons that have devastated the Mindanao and...

President Aquino departs for South Korea to attend 25th ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit

MANILA (Mabuhay) — President Benigno S. Aquino III left Thursday morning for Busan, South Korea to attend the 25th Association of Southeast Asian Nations – Republic of Korea (ASEAN-ROK) Commemorative Summit on December 11 to 12. In his pre-departure speech at the...

Ombudsman asks Drilon, nine others to answer raps on ‘overpriced’ ICC construction

MANILA, Dec 9 (Mabuhay) — The Office of the Ombudsman has ordered Senate President Franklin Drilon, Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson, Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez, and seven other public officials and private individuals to answer the accusation of a former Iloilo...

Drilon accuser claims P740-M ICC initially estimated to cost only P200-M

MANILA (Mabuhay) – The construction and development of the controversial Iloilo Convention Center was initially estimated to cost only P200 million, the accuser of Senate President Franklin Drilon said Wednesday as he submitted to a Senate panel the deed of donation which he...

Drilon: ICC is classic public-private partnership

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Senate President Franklin Drilon on Tuesday described as a “waste of time and money” the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee investigation on the alleged overpricing of the Iloilo Convention Center. Drilon said the convention center is meant to boost tourism in Iloilo...

Drilon inhibits from Senate probe, insists Iloilo Convention Center not overpriced

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Senate President Franklin Drilon insisted Thursday the Iloilo Convention Center was not overpriced as alleged by his former staff. He welcomed the conduct of the Senate investigation on the matter as an opportunity for the public to hear both sides. “In defense...

Singson to resign if proven to have benefited from alleged ICC overprice

MANILA (Mabuhay) – In maintaining that the Iloilo Convention Center (ICC) was not overpriced, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson said he will resign if proven to have benefited or received even P1 from the construction of the public building. “Kung ang nag-aakusa...