(MNS Photo)

MANILA, Mar 16 (Mabuhay) — All areas in the country including those under Alert Level 2 are now classified as low risk for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), a health official said Tuesday.

In an online media forum, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the government is strengthening its inoculation drive in Alert Level 2 areas to increase vaccination coverage so these can deescalate to Alert Level 1.

“As for Metro Manila and 39 other areas, they have eased restrictions because of high vaccination rates and continued adherence to public health safety protocols,” she said.

Vergeire added that there is no new uptick in Covid-19 cases nationwide and the Deltacron is not yet detected in the country.

While the Deltacron is not yet a variant of concern, Vergeire urged the public to be vaccinated as protection against other Covid-19 variants circulating worldwide.

As of March 14, a total of 1,400,889 doses have been administered during the fourth edition of the “Bayanihan, Bakunahan” drive. T

The government has extended the program until March 18 to increase the vaccination coverage among senior citizens.

So far, there are 6.5 million fully vaccinated and 1.9 million boosted senior citizens in the country.

“Muli po binibigyan diin ng Kagawaran ng Kalusugan na ang mga bakuna ay garantisadong ligtas at epektibo hindi lamang sa ating elderly population kung hindi para po sa ating lahat (The Department of Health emphasizes that all vaccines are proven safe and effective not only for the elderly population but for everyone),” Vergeire said.  (MNS)

READ NEXT: DOH intensifies strategy vs Deltacron variant