Devotees raise their hands while praying at the Basilica for the Ist Friday mass a week ahead of the Feast of the Black Nazarene on January 9,2015 on Quezon Boulevard, Manila. (MNS photo)

Devotees raise their hands while praying at the Basilica for the Ist Friday mass a week ahead of the Feast of the Black Nazarene on January 9,2015 on Quezon Boulevard, Manila. (MNS photo)

MANILA, Jan 10 (Mabuhay) – Another person has been confirmed dead in this year’s Black Nazarene procession.

On Friday, a member of the Hijos del Nazareno – a group of devotees assisting the church during the feast – suffered a heart attack. He was proclaimed dead on arrival at the hospital.

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Francis Tolentino said a second devotee was crushed by the crowd as the carriage arrived at the Quiapo Church early this morning.

“Apparently, he was crushed by the approaching crowd before the arrival of the andas,” said Tolentino. “We offer prayers and condolences to the families of the two victims.”

The man, who has yet to be identified, was found lying near the Quiapo Church, with bruises and scratches all over his body, SPO4 Glenn Vallejo of the Manila Police District said.

He was rushed to the hospital but was also declared dead on arrival.

The man is believed to be between 25 and 30 years old. He was wearing blue pants and a maroon shirt worn by Nazarene devotees.

The image of the Black Nazarene was welcomed by the devotees back into the Quiapo Church at almost 4 a.m. Saturday, over 19 hours since the procession began at Quirino Grandstand on Friday.

The religious icon was brought back to its original home one hour longer than last year amid some adjustments to the route and some delays at Roxas Boulevard.

After some closing prayers, the devotees have gone home, leaving workers from the MMDA to conduct cleanup operations after the traslacion. (MNS)