President Benigno S. Aquino III leads the unveiling  of the marker  of the newly constructed 11- story Sen. Neptali Gonzales Academic Hall during the inauguration  at the Rizal Technological University. Also in photo are  DPWH Seretary Rogelio Singson and Mandaluyong Representative Neptali Gionzales II.(MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III leads the unveiling of the marker of the newly constructed 11- story Sen. Neptali Gonzales Academic Hall during the inauguration at the Rizal Technological University. Also in photo are DPWH Seretary Rogelio Singson and Mandaluyong Representative Neptali Gionzales II.(MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – President Benigno Aquino III on Thursday revealed that the government is planning to implement an odd-even scheme on vehicles to decongest traffic in Metro Manila.

In a speech in Mandaluyong City, Aquino said this scheme will be part of a traffic management plan to be presented to him soon.

“Bahagi ko na rin lang: Malapit nang ipresenta sa akin ang iba’t ibang plano para maibsan ang siksikan ng mga sasakyan. Ang akin po: Ang pinakaradikal dito ay hatiin ang bilang ng bumibiyaheng sasakyan – salitan ang pagbabaybay ng odd at even na plaka sa ating mga kalsada kada linggo,” the President said.

President Benigno S. Aquino III leads the unveiling  of the marker  of the newly constructed 11- story Sen. Neptali Gonzales Academic Hall during the inauguration  at the Rizal Technological University. Also in photo are  DPWH Seretary Rogelio Singson and Mandaluyong Representative Neptali Gionzales II.(MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III leads the unveiling of the marker of the newly constructed 11- story Sen. Neptali Gonzales Academic Hall during the inauguration at the Rizal Technological University. Also in photo are DPWH Seretary Rogelio Singson and Mandaluyong Representative Neptali Gionzales II.(MNS photo)

Aquino said he already expects the proposal to face public criticism.

“Pihadong luluwang ang trapik dahil kalahati ng sasakyan ang mawawala, pero sigurado pong marami na namang aalma dahil hindi magagamit ang kotse nila,” he said.

The President also lamented how most Filipinos supposedly refuse to be part of the solution to the traffic congestion

“Ganyan po ang kinakaharap natin. Sa paglaban sa baha, hanggang paglalatag ng imprastruktura, at maging sa pagsasaayos ng trapiko, ang namamayaning kaisipan ay ganito: ‘Okay kami sa solusyon, okay kami sa konstruksiyon, huwag lang kami ang maiipit sa implementasyon,’” Aquino said.

President Benigno S. Aquino III graces the inauguration  of   the Senator Neptali Gonzales Academic Hall of Rizal Technological University on Thursday (August 27). Also in photo are Mandaluyong Representative Neptali Gonzales II, House Speaker Sonny Belmonte, DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson PCCO Secretary Sonny Coloma and Mandaluyong Mayor Benhur Abalos. (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III graces the inauguration of the Senator Neptali Gonzales Academic Hall of Rizal Technological University on Thursday (August 27). Also in photo are Mandaluyong Representative Neptali Gonzales II, House Speaker Sonny Belmonte, DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson PCCO Secretary Sonny Coloma and Mandaluyong Mayor Benhur Abalos. (MNS photo)

In a separate statement, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said Aquino had already instructed Cabinet Secretary Jose Rene Almendras to conduct consultations with various stakeholders on the government’s traffic management plan.

Last year, a study conducted by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) warned that the Philippine government can lose up to P6 billion a day by 2030 if the traffic congestion will not be addressed.

Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya recently drew flak for calling the Metro Manila traffic situation as “not fatal.” He eventually apologized for this remark.

The traffic congestion in the National Capital Region has also prompted some groups to call for Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chief Francis Tolentino’s resignation, which Malacañang said it will not heed.

Aquino nevertheless said that there are some “good news” about the traffic situation in the capital region, noting that it is an indication that more and more Filipinos are buying cars and motorcycles.

The President mentioned Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) showing how 22,400 cars and 100,000 motorcycle units were sold per month last year.

Aquino said that the ideal solution to this traffic situation is really improving infrastructure. He however added that road projects will take years to complete.

“Ang ideyal na sitwasyon: Dagdagan ang mga tulay at palawakin ang mga kalye; pero maski ito po, aabutin ng ilang taon para maipatupad at katakot-takot pa ang diskusyon, lalo na sa usapin ng right of way,” he said.

The President cited as example the Guadalupe Bridge, which he said can only hold 200,000 vehicles a day, but is currently servicing 250,000 vehicles.

“Talagang lagpas po ito sa kapasidad ng ating tulay. ‘Yang tulay pong iyan, kailangan na ring pong i-retrofit dahil maaari itong bumigay kapag lumindol,” Aquino said.

To address this, Aquino said his government is planning to build another bridge across the Pasig River, but this plan is facing opposition from some groups.

“Kailangan nga nating magtayo ng isa pang tulay na tatawid sa Pasig River, mula Global City papuntang Shaw, pero may kontra naman dito dahil sila raw ang mapeperwisyo,” he said. (MNS)