MANILA (Mabuhay) – Amid speculations that the government reached an agreement with Iglesia ni Cristo, President Benigno Aquino III on Tuesday said they merely “clarified each other’s positions” during a late-night meeting that resulted in the religious group calling off its massive rally on EDSA last month.
“Nagkaunawaan… We were able to clarify each other’s positions,” Aquino said during an event organized by the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Members of Aquino’s Cabinet met with leaders of the influential Iglesia ni Cristo before its members decided to leave their protest site along EDSA on the morning of August 31.
Thousands of Iglesia ni Cristo members gathered in EDSA-Shaw Boulevard for an entire weekend to protest the Department of Justice’s investigation on some of its leaders.
The investigation stemmed from the complaint filed by expelled minister Isaias Samson Jr., who accused the leaders of detaining him and his family after he bared the supposed irregularities within the organization.
Aquino, during Tuesday’s forum, said that “the case will stand or fall on its own merits.” (MNS)