CEBU CITY (Mabuhay) – President Benigno Aquino III on Monday rejected an administration lawmaker’s call for him to be Interior Secretary Mar Roxas’ running mate for the 2016 polls.
In a media briefing here, Aquino said running for vice president will not sit well with his family.
“Habang tinatanong mo sa akin ‘yan parang nakikita ko na ‘yung mga kapatid ko naiyak na at ‘yung mga pamangkin ko humahagulhol na,” the President told reporters.
Aquino added that he could have agreed to earlier proposals for him to extend his term if he really wanted to stay in power.
“Kung gagawin na rin naman lahat ‘nung trabaho, siguro dapat sumang-ayon na ako doon sa mungkahing pagtingin ‘nung Konstitutsyon ulit at term extension,” he said.
The President further said that he should allow Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, whom he endorsed as his preferred successor last month, to continue the reforms that he started.
“Kung sa atin parati iaasa ‘yan baka hindi tayo nakakatulong doon sa manigurado na tuluy-tuloy itong arangkadang nangyayari sa ating bansa,” Aquino said.
Cavite Rep. Elpidio Barzaga, a member of the administration-allied National Unity Party, earlier called for a Roxas-Aquino tandem for 2016, saying it will be the “dream team” for the upcoming national elections.
During the 2010 polls, Roxas ran for vice president opposite Aquino, but ultimately lost to then-Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay. Roxas has a pending electoral protest against Binay. (MNS)