By Sarwell Meniano

TACLOBAN CITY – The Philippine Army commended residents of San Jorge, Samar, for reporting the presence of New People’s Army (NPA) members, leading to a brief armed encounter in the area, officials said Wednesday.
Lt. Col. Esmeraldo Sumalinog, commander of the Army’s 14th Infantry Battalion, said troops clashed with six NPA rebels in the hinterlands of Barangay Mobo-ob on Feb. 16 following reports from concerned residents about armed groups conducting intimidation and extortion activities.
“We are grateful to the local residents who reported the presence of this armed group. Your cooperation is vital in our campaign to end the local communist armed conflict. Rest assured that our troops will remain committed and will continue to intensify security operations to protect communities and eliminate the remaining insurgents,” Sumalinog said in a statement.
No casualties were reported on either side during the 10-minute firefight.
Sumalinog said the residents’ willingness to report the presence of rebels reflects a growing community rejection of insurgents in areas they previously influenced.
This was the second armed encounter in San Jorge this month. On Feb. 3, troops of the 3rd Infantry Battalion clashed with five NPA members in upland Barangay Cagtoto-og, recovering a firearm, improvised explosive devices, and subversive documents.
The Army’s 8th Infantry Division renewed its call for remaining NPA members to surrender and avail themselves of the government’s Amnesty Program, with applications open until March 13. The program grants relief from criminal liability and supports reintegration into society.
San Jorge, about 138 km. north of Tacloban City, has several upland villages previously identified as NPA hotspots. (PNA)
