Arroyo has no sign of infection, doctor says

MANILA, Aug. 2011 (Mabuhay) — Former president and now Pampanga 2nd District Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is showing no sign of infection after undergoing cervical spine surgery at the St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig City Friday morning (July 29).

Dr. Juliet Gopez-Cervantez said that Mrs. Arroyo’s blood pressure is fluctuating since her operation but stressed that there is no cause for concern.

“She is experiencing fluctuating blood pressure but it is more of a reactive high blood pressure due to the stress caused by the surgery as well as external factors, but, medically, she is not in a serious condition,“ Gopez-Cervantez said in the latest medical bulletin on the former chief executive Monday afternoon.

With this development, Gopez-Cervantez said they are closely monitoring her condition, especially since the former’s family has a history of hypertension, adding that despite the hypertension medicines prescribed, the former president was not responding as expected by her doctors.

She added that Mrs. Arroyo is still on soft diet as prescribed by her attending physicians so as “ not to stress her esophagus.”

Mrs. Arroyo is being attended to by a team of doctors composed of a cardiologist, neurologist and two pulmonary specialists.

At the same time, aside from the order banning visitors, Gopez-Cervantez said Mrs. Arroyo was also not allowed to read newspapers, watch television or even use her cellular phone so as not to cause her further stress though she admitted “but what we don’t know is what happens when we have our backs turned.”

And if all goes well, Gopez-Cervantez said Mrs. Arroyo may be discharged from the hospital within the week.

She added that normally, patients who undergo the same surgery have a two-week recovery time.

But she added that this will be conditioned on her having a stable blood pressure.

From the intensive care unit at St. Luke’s after her operation called anterior cervical decompression, Mrs. Arroyo was transferred to a regular room Sunday at the hospital after she spent two days at the hospital’s intensive care unit. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts