By Darryl John Esguerra

Former Bureau of Corrections Director General Gerald Bantag. (File photo)

MANILA – The Department of Justice (DOJ) assured the public on Thursday that former Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Gerald Bantag will soon be arrested.

In a Palace press briefing, DOJ spokesperson, Assistant Secretary Mico Clavano, said authorities have been keeping tabs on Bantag’s whereabouts and his arrest would be “just a matter of time.”

“Patuloy pa din po iyong manhunt ho natin ‘no (The manhunt against Bantag continues). We have a general idea already of his whereabouts so it’s just a matter of time,” Clavano said.

“Again with these things, we just have to stay patient – these things don’t happen overnight. The wheels of justice, they grind slowly but they grind very finely so we just have to stay patient.”

Bantag has been in hiding after being charged with masterminding the killing of radio broadcaster Percival Mabasa, also known as Percy Lapid, in 2022 and prisoner Jun Villamor last year.

The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has raided Bantag’s houses to serve his arrest warrant but failed to collar the former BuCor chief. (PNA)