MANILA (Mabuhay) – A day before the Senate subcommittee resumes its hearing on the corruption allegations against Vice President Jejomar Binay, the latter’s spokesperson already downplayed the result of the investigation set on Tuesday.
“The next hearings would likely end up with the same results as that of the last 18 hearings, which produced nothing but mere conclusions of fact signifying nothing,” Lawyer Rico Quicho, Binay’s spokesperson for political concerns, said in a press statement Monday.
He said the past Senate hearings have so far produced “nothing but fantastic and totally unsubstantiated” claims against the Vice President.
“The Senate Blue Ribbon subcommittee would be resuming the longest running investigation against Vice President Jejomar Binay that has clearly evolved into a witch hunt in order to bolster the ambitions of presidential aspirants sorely lagging behind in the surveys,” he added.
Quicho said in a desperate attempt to swing sympathy, Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV presented two residents of the resettlement project in Calauan, who allegedly tried to discredit the project of the Vice President by misrepresenting and twisting the real situation in the said housing project.
“It is quite evident that the detractors of Vice President Binay are hell bent to sow further intrigues and employ the use of government instrumentalities in order to cover-up for their own ineptness and malfeasance in office,” he said.
He also slammed Trillanes for defending Globe Asiatique owner Delfin Lee, saying the senator’s efforts to clear Lee from the charges related to the GA scam was a “clear disregard and disrespect” for the justice system and the separation of powers of the three branches of the government.
Quicho said Trillanes was trying to diminish the efforts of the government to rid the housing sector of corruption, when President Benigno Aquino III himself had fully supported the filing of the case against Lee and the subsequent manhunt for him.
“Senator Trillanes’ blatant attempt to absolve Mr. Delfin Lee from any wrongdoing despite the pendency of his case before the Regional Trial Court of San Fernando, Pampanga is the latest proof of his clear bias against the Vice President,” Quicho said.
Among those expected to attend the hearing Tuesday are Commission on Audit commissioner Heidi Mendoza, Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Philippine National Police officer in charge Deputy Director General Leonardo Espina, National Bureau of Investigation director Virgilio Mendez, National Housing Authority general manager Chito Cruz.
Also invited as resource persons are Pag-IBIG president Darlene Marie Berbera, Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board Antonio Bernardo, Boy Scouts of the Philippines officials, Calauan, Laguna former and incumbent officials, and Makati City officials. (MNS)