MANILA (Mabuhay) – Vice President Jejomar Binay said he might send a written deposition to the Senate Blue Ribbon sub-committee investigation into the allegedly overpriced construction of the Makati City Hall Building 2, to which he has been linked.
In an interview after speaking at the 2014 Bagong Bayani Awards ceremony at the Philippine International Convention Center Monday evening, Binay said he will decide “what to do” after the panel continues its investigation on September 25, Thursday.
“Malayo pa naman ang hearing, sa Huwebes pa naman ‘yun e. Pag-ukulan muna natin ng pansin ‘yung mga napinsala ng bagyo. Well anyway, basta’t dedisisyunan natin ‘yan (The hearing is far off, it’s still on Thursday. Let’s focus first on the typhoon victims. Well anyway, we’ll decide what to do),” Binay said.
Asked what could make him decide to accept the invitation by Senator Aquilino Pimentel III, who chairs the sub-committee, Binay said: “Isusulat ko na lamang, kung saka-sakali (I’ll just write my deposition, if ever).”
Binay rued the continued accusations that he benefited from the alleged overprice, claiming some people were “playing deaf and blind” to his response to the charges in a televised address last week.
Nevertheless, he acknowledged that the charges against him and members of his family are part of the democratic space restored when the dictator Ferdinand Marcos was ousted in 1986.
“Binigay ko naman ang aking paliwanag, alam ko naman na ‘yung mga tuloy-tuloy ng pagbira sa aming pagkatao ay hindi rin naman titigil. Laging palalabasin na masama, ‘di tama, ‘di tugma etcetera, etc. Okay lang ‘yun. Kasama ‘yun sa diwa ng demokrasya (I gave my explanation knowing the attacks on our persons would not stop. We will always be portrayed as evil, wrong, inconsistent, etc. But that’s okay. That is part of the democratic spirit).” he said.(MNS)