MANILA, Nov 19 (Mabuhay) –Malacañang clarified on Friday that private establishments have the discretion to require employees and customers to wear face shields.
At a press briefing, acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles said the government’s COVID-19 task force amended the memorandum issued on Monday by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, which stated that face shield use is only voluntary for areas under Alert Levels 1, 2, and 3.
Nograles previously told private establishments to follow the Palace memorandum.
“For establishments, they’ll have to follow the protocols that state that it’s purely voluntary for the users of face shields,” the Cabinet official said on Tuesday.
The usefulness of face shields in lowering the risk of COVID-19 has been disputed by some medical experts and local government officials, but championed by others.
The Philippines is currently under a five-level coronavirus alert system which was first implemented in the National Capital Region. (MNS)