MANILA, May 13 (Mabuhay) —
Contingency measures are in place to ensure the safety of nearly 30,000 Filipinos in Israel amid ongoing hostilities between Israel and Hamas militants, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday, adding no Filipino was reported injured in recent rocket exchanges.
At least 35 were killed in Gaza and five in Israel following airstrikes carried out by both sides — the heaviest offensive between Israel and Hamas since 2014.
“So far, our embassy in Israel has not received any report of Filipino casualties. The embassy is in touch with Filipino organizations and networks,” a DFA statement said.
“Shelters are there to provide refuge, including for Filipino workers; contingency plans are in place for developments in the situation.”
As of January, 29,473 Filipinos are living and working in Israel. Most of them are employed as caregivers and household service workers.
So far, no security advisory or travel alert for Filipinos in Israel has been issued publicly by the DFA as several countries expressed serious concern over the heightened conflict, which they fear could spiral out of control. (MNS)