MANILA, Nov 16 (Mabuhay) — The Department of Health (DOH) said on Tuesday that it was in continuous communication with the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) and other government agencies for additional funds for healthcare workers’ COVID-19 response allowance.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire (Facebook Page Photo)

“So, sa ngayon po, we have already released P19.4 billion na galing po sa ating General Appropriation Act (GAA) and Special Allotment Release Orders (SAROs) ni-release po yun ng DBM para sa ating health care workers,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a media briefing.

“Just recently nag-request po tayo ng P27-billion from DBM. We released the letter last November 8, para po ma-cover na natin yung remaining months of the year na hindi pa po na co-cover for our health emergency allowance.”

Vergeire said they were still waiting for the DMB’s response to their request and its issuance so this could be distributed to healthcare workers.

“Sana bago mag-pasko, maibigay natin para masaya ang pasko ng ating mga health care workers,” she added.

Earlier this year, former president Rodrigo Duterte signed Republic Act (RA) No. 11712 also known as the “Public Health Emergency Benefits and Allowances for Healthcare Workers Act,” mandating continuous benefits to all healthcare workers in the country during the COVID-19 pandemic and other future public health emergencies. (MNS)