DOJ recommends: drop charges vs MNLF in Zamboanga siege

Government troops take their positions as about 200 Muslim rebels, enraged by a broken peace deal with the Philippine government, held scores of hostages as human shields Tuesday Sept. 10, 2013 in a standoff with government forces for the second day with no solution in sight at the southern port city of Zamboanga, in southern Philippines. More battle-ready troops and police were flown to the southern port city of Zamboanga in a bid to end the crisis. (MNS photo)

Government troops take their positions as about 200 Muslim rebels, enraged by a broken peace deal with the Philippine government, held scores of hostages as human shields Tuesday Sept. 10, 2013 in a standoff with government forces for the second day with no solution in sight at the southern port city of Zamboanga, in southern Philippines. More battle-ready troops and police were flown to the southern port city of Zamboanga in a bid to end the crisis. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) — The Department of Justice recommended the dropping of rebellion charges against 59 suspected members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in connection with the Zamboanga seige last year.

A source said most of the 59 accused were caught during the crossfire between the rebels and military and were mistakenly identified as MNLF members.

“Yung iba, wala talagang ebidensya,” the source said.

The Pasig Regional Trial Court who is handling the case asked the Armed Forces of the Philippines to comment on the DOJs recommendation.

“It is up to the court to dismiss the charges against the 59 or not,” the official said.

 The 59 accused are among the 284 charged with rebellion.

Among the accused are MNLF founding chair Nur Misuari and MNLF Commanders Ustadz Habier Malik, Bas Arki and Assamin Hussin. All of them are still in hiding. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts