President Benigno Aquino III and Social Welfare Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman (MNS Photo)

President Benigno Aquino III and Social Welfare Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman (MNS Photo)

MANILA, Dec 26 (Mabuhay) — Survivors of Tropical Storm Sendong (Washi) in northern Mindanao were given proper housing despite delays primarily caused by difficulties in securing land for relocation sites, the Department of Social Welfare and Development said Friday.

At a press briefing, DSWD Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman said 12,000 of the 16,000 housing units for Sendong survivors had already been built by the government.

She however admitted that the construction of over 30,000 shelters for typhoon victims in eight regions—including those affected by Sendong—was delayed due to various reasons.

The Cabinet official attributed the delays to difficulties in finding proper relocation sites, other natural disaster such as Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), and even the ban on the disbursement of public funds during the 2013 election period.

In its 2013 report on DSWD allocations, the Commission on Audit noted that the agency failed to complete its P2.57-billion shelter program for typhoon victims.(MNS)