By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos

MANILA – The fate of individuals behind the spread of fake medical records of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. now rests with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Malacañang said on Wednesday.
“Ang nagsampa naman po ay ang NBI. Kung ano po ang nakikita nilang nilabag sa batas, dapat panagutin (The NBI filed the case. Whatever violations of the law they find, the responsible parties should be held accountable),” Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said in a press briefing.
Vlogger Jason Argota, who allegedly circulated the fake medical records of Marcos for social media engagement, appeared before the NBI, in compliance with a subpoena issued against him.
Castro emphasized the need to enforce the law and hold offenders accountable.
She said issuing an apology is not enough to make up for the violations committed.
“Hindi po kasi ginagawang biro ang pagku-content, lalo na kung makakaapekto ito hindi lamang sa taong ginawa mong subject matter sa iyong content kung hindi sa buong tao, sa buong mamamayan na maaaring makapanood ng inyong mga fake news (Creating content is not a joke, especially when it can affect not just the person featured but the public who may see the fake news),” Castro said.
“So, nilalabanan po natin ang fake news, at hindi po dapat ito gagawin at pagkasabi ng sorry ay tapos na (We are fighting fake news, and it should not be done. Saying sorry doesn’t end the matter).”
Castro said Argota can defend himself if he is not guilty.
Apart from Argota, the NBI is also investigating other personalities allegedly involved in spreading the false medical information about Marcos, including former broadcaster Jay Sonza.
Marcos previously took a short break from public engagements after being diagnosed with diverticulitis, an inflammation of small pouches in the colon.
He has since returned to his regular schedule, participating in public events. (PNA)
