(MNS Photo)

MANILA, Sept 13 (Mabuhay) — Granular lockdowns will be implemented by surprise, according to Interior Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya, contrary to earlier pronouncements that residents will be informed in advance.

The remark comes just days before the government targets to release the guidelines for the new COVID-19 alert system, either on Monday, September 13, or Tuesday, September 14.

“Wala namang warning, hindi mo malalaman. Ang nakakaalam lang kasi ng datos ay ang City Health office,” Malaya said.

“Kasi it would defeat the purpose kung may warning, o di mag-aalisan ‘yung mga tao, may clustering nga doon,” he added.

Interior Undersecretary Epimaco Densing III earlier said areas to be placed under granular lockdown will be advised 24 hours before the implementation to give them time to prepare.

It was initially announced that Metro Manila would undergo granular lockdowns under the pilot general community quarantine (GCQ) with alert systems earlier this month, but this was deferred and the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) was retained until September 15, 2021.

According to Palace spokesperson Harry Roque Jr., the granular lockdowns were targeted to be implemented on Wednesday, September 8, but guidelines were not ready.

Malaya said some details are being ironed out, such as concerns of some local government units regarding the area of origin of patients, noting that some hospitals are at full capacity but not all patients are residents of the area where the hospital is.

“Kahit ako din, kung minsan nalilito na rin ako sa daming CQ. Para ma-simplify, and purpose po nito ay para ma-simplify ‘yung ating susundin bilang isang bansa na buo itong alert level system with granular lockdowns,” he said.

“May mga konting maliliit na lamang na pinagdedebatehan pa sa IATF, ngunit sa tingin ko handang handa na tayo for the transfer,” Malaya added. (MNS)

READ NEXT: FLAG asks ILC to disregard Roque’s nomination