MANILA, Jan 13 (Mabuhay) — Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Chair J. Prospero de Vera III on Wednesday said higher education institutions (HEIs) in areas under Alert Level 3 may begin holding limited face-to-face (F2F) classes on January 31 depending on Covid-19 situations on the ground.
This, after, the CHED issued an advisory Tuesday night saying HEIs located in areas under Alert Level 3 can start implementing limited physical classes for all degree programs by the end of the month.
The advisory was criticized by netizens since Covid-19 cases continue to rise nationwide.
In a television interview, de Vera said January 31 is the earliest possible date HEIs could resume their classes.
“Hopefully, by January 31, you have a better grip on the data, makikita natin kung pababa na [ang Covid cases]. Kung mabagal ang pagbaba, ang magiging desisyon dapat nila ay mag-adjust doon sa (if the Covid cases are going down. If the downtrend is slow, the HEIs decisions should adjust according to) conditions on the ground,” he said.
There are public universities in the National Capital Region that have moved to next month the opening of their physical classes despite being under Alert Level 3 until January 15 only, he added
HEIs in Eastern Visayas and Caraga regions have deferred the start of classes as they continue to recover from the destruction left by Typhoon Odette in December last year.
The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases approved a “phased” limited in-person classes for all degree programs in November 2021.
It allowed HEIS in areas under Alert Level 2 to hold physical classes starting December. (MNS)