Vice President Jejomar Binay hits back at his accusers during a televised press conference at the PICC in Pasay City on Thursday, September 18. Binay denied receiving kickbacks from the construction of the Makati City Hall Building II and from other projects in the city during his term as mayor. (MNS photo)

Vice President Jejomar Binay hits back at his accusers during a televised press conference at the PICC in Pasay City on Thursday, September 18. Binay denied receiving kickbacks from the construction of the Makati City Hall Building II and from other projects in the city during his term as mayor. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Representatives from media and civic groups may be invited to attend the Nov. 27 debate between Vice President Jejomar Binay and Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas said.

KBP president Herman Basbaño said Thursday they are still finalizing other details including who the moderator will be, and where the debate will be held.

“We are looking (into inviting) heads of civic organizations, members of the KBP,” he said.

But he said there will only be 200 to 300 guests at the debate, and by invitation.

On Wednesday, KBP chairman Ruperto Nicdao Jr. confirmed the date of the debate will be Nov. 27.

Nicdao also said the debate will focus on four topics.

During an event of the KBP last month, Binay challenged Trillanes to a debate but it should be outside the Senate. Trillanes accepted the dare.

Trillanes filed the resolution that paved the way for the Senate inquiry into the alleged overpricing of the P2.7-billion Makati City Hall Building II.

He was one of three senators that grilled Binay’s son, incumbent Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay Jr., on the construction cost of the city hall complex.

Trillanes also said the KBP has so far narrowed down the venue of the debate to some areas.

“There are certain considerations if live like hosting. We will have to choose a venue that is conducive for national airing on TV,” he said.

He said they are considering the Philippine International Convention Center, which is between the Senate and the Coconut Palace where the Office of the Vice President is based.

Another option is the historic Manila Hotel, while still another is the GSIS Building at East Avenue. Still another is the Philam Theater in Manila.

“There are several options. We haven’t decided it yet,” Basbaño said, adding they received many offers.

On the other hand, he said they are still deciding who will be the moderator for the event. He said they still have two names.

While he declined to name names, he said the moderator is a broadcast journalist and is “very good, well-seasoned, well-respected.”

Basbaño said each party will have a seven-minute opening statement, and will debate on four topics.

Arguments for the affirmative side will have seven minutes while the response from the negative side is four minutes.

Rebuttals from the affirmative will be up to two minutes while rebuttals from the other side will take two minutes.

But he also said there will be no winner declared at the debate. “I’d rather leave it to the public,” he said. (MNS)