By Ma. Cristina Arayata

BURNED CHARGER. Close to 160 passengers were temporarily relocated at the ramp area of Dumaguete Airport on Sunday night (June 23, 2024) due to the strong smell of a plugged laptop charger that sparked a fire. The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines said no flight was affected by the fire that was fully extinguished at about 8:25 p.m. (Photo courtesy of CAAP)

MANILA – A laptop charger caused a fire at the departure area of the Dumaguete-Sibulan Airport on Sunday night, the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) reported Monday.

The CAAP said the plugged charger began emitting smoke at around 8:23 p.m.

A security personnel used a fire extinguisher and was able to “fully extinguish” the fire from the “burning charger” at 8:25 p.m., based on CAAP’s report.

Close to 160 passengers had to be temporarily relocated to the ramp area because of the strong smell of smoke.

No flight was affected and the passengers were able to go back to the pre-departure area at 8:40 p.m., the report added.

The CAAP advised passengers to ensure their gadgets are in good condition before plugging these into airport outlets.

“CAAP strongly encourages the public to be vigilant with their electronic gadgets at airports, ensuring they are properly inspected and in good condition to prevent any potential incidents,” it said. (PNA)