MANILA, June 23 (Mabuhay) − Government implementing agencies, including the Departments of Agriculture and Budget and Management, should share the blame for the multibillion-peso pork barrel scam, former Sen. Luisa “Loi” Estrada said Monday.
Dr. Estrada, who served in the Senate from 2001 to 2007, also said she felt very bad that her son, Sen. Jinggoy Estrada, is being ordered arrested over the pork mess.
“Alam kong walang problema si Jinggoy, sige turo, sige endorso lang. Ang may problema malaki ang DBM at implementing agency [dahil] sila ang nakakaalam kung fake o di fake,” she said.
She said had the implementing agencies informed her son’s office that there was something wrong in the projects he endorsed, the younger Estrada would have acted promptly.
The younger Estrada was ordered arrested by the Sandiganbayan for graft and plunder charges stemming from the P10-billion pork barrel scam.
He is one of at least three senators accused of channeling Priority Development Assistance Fund allocations to ghost non-government organizations created by suspected scam mastermind Janet Napoles.
“Kung noon pa sinabing fake yan dapat sinabi fake ang ineendorso ninyo… ngayon after 10 years nalaman fake pala,” Dr. Estrada said.
She also said the order for her son’s arrest was painful for her as a parent even if Jinggoy and his father, former President and now Manila mayor Joseph Estrada, had been detained in 2001 on plunder charges already.
“[Kung] magulang din kayo siyempre masakit. May edad na si Presidente noon, ito bata pa kasi, kaya masakit,” she said.
But when asked what her plans were, she said, “We have to face it.”
Meanwhile, Jinggoy’s eldest daughter Janella said she is confident her father will be acquitted.
“Sa nangyari alam namin malalampasan naman namin gaya ng nangyari noon,” she said in a separate interview on dzBB.
When asked if she believes her father will be acquitted, she answered, “Opo.” (MNS)