MANILA, Dec 4 (Mabuhay) — Los Baños, Laguna mayor Caesar Perez was shot dead inside the municipal hall on Thursday evening.
Los Baños Police said Perez was shot at around 9 p.m. Perez was among the 46 “narco politicians” named by President Rodrigo Duterte who faced complaints filed against him by the Department of the Interior and Local Government in 2019.
Perez, former vice governor of the province, was gunned down by still unidentified suspects while walking toward the receiving area of the municipal hall.
He was hit twice in the back of his head. The assailants immediately fled the scene after the incident.
Perez was rushed to a local hospital but was declared dead at around 9:25 p.m., after 30 minutes of attempts to revive him.
Four incumbent and former local chief executives have figured in shooting incidents so far in 2020 alone.
In February, Sultan Sumagka Mayor Abdulwahab Sabal from Maguindanao was killed in Manila.
In July, Tagapul-an, Samar Mayor Vicente Limpiado was injured while Sto. Niño, South Cotabato Mayor Pablo Matinong died after being shot.
Former Flora, Apayao Mayor Richard De San Jose was also killed while former Pagbilao, Quezon Mayor Romar Portes became critical after a shooting.
Sabal and Matinong were also on the president’s “narco list.”
The Court of Appeals earlier said that denying a man’s rights “at the mere whim of government is anathema to a democracy” after Leyte Representative Vicente Veloso objected to his inclusion in the narco list. (MNS)