President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. (MNS Photo)

MANILA, July 6 (Mabuhay) — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. rejected suggestions to reduce the number of workers in government agencies to save funds as the Philippines continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic, one of his Cabinet members said on Tuesday.

In a Facebook post, Social Welfare Secretary Erwin Tulfo said Marcos made the objection after the idea was brought up during their first Cabinet meeting in Malacañang.

“We don’t want anyone out of (a) job at this point,” Tulfo said, quoting the President.

“Ito sagot ng Pangulo matapos iprisinta ang ideya sa kanya na magbawas siguro ng tao para makatipid ang gobyerno sa ilalim ng pandemic recovery,” the Department of Social Welfare and Development chief said in his post.

Last month, the Philippine Statistics Bureau said that unemployment rate in the country eased to 5.7 percent in April, but some 2.76 million Filipinos were still jobless.

April 2022’s unemployment rate is also an improvement compared to the 6.4 percent rate in January, equivalent to 2.93 million, and the 5.8 percent rate in March which translates to 2.87 million people with no jobs.

At the start of the meeting, Marcos said that the economy is the “most important area” that his administration has to deal with in its first few months. (MNS)

READ NEXT: Legislator: Marcos, Duterte-Carpio will not benefit from term-extension bill