President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. (MNS Photo)

MANILA, July 26 (Mabuhay) –There will be no more lockdowns.

This was the remark of President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. during his first State of the Nation Address as he talked about the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Marcos said there should be a balance between the country’s economy and the health and welfare of Filipinos.

“Sa ating sitwasyon na pangkalusugan, nariyan pa rin ang banta ng COVID-19 lalo’t may mga nadidiskubreng variant ng coronavirus, pero hindi na natin kakayanin ang isa pang lockdown,” Marcos said.

“Wala na tayong gagawing lockdown. Dapat nating balansehin ang kalusugan at kapakanan ng ating mga mamamayan sa isang banda at ekonomiya naman sa isang banda,” he added.

Marcos, who was recently infected with the coronavirus, said earlier that he wanted to intensify the vaccination and administration of booster shots in the country. This would ensure the safety of students amid the resumption of face-to-face classes.

Marcos retained the COVID-19 Alert Level System as he seeks the reclassification of restrictions, which would be more compatible with the current milder strains of the coronavirus.

He said if booster doses were given to more people , the COVID-19 Alert Level System could be adjusted.

Department of Health officer-in-charge Maria Rosario Vergeire previously said the agency could craft new classifications by the second week of August. (MNS)

READ NEXT: Make digital services for OFWs ‘top priority’: PBBM tells DMW