MANILA (Mabuhay) – Suspended Philippine National Police-Special Action Forces (PNP SAF) chief Getulio Napenas Jr. on Wednesday offered to resign if it is proven that the SAF failed in its mission to kill Zulkifli bin Hir, alias Marwan.
“Magre-resign na ako kung hindi si Marwan ang target. Malaki ang kredibilidad na siya yung target at namatay sa operation,” he said in a press briefing.
Napenas said he had been reporting to suspended PNP chief Alan Purisima and PNP OIC Leonardo Espina about the operation, saying both of them knew about the operation.
He said Purisima had approved several operations to take out Marwan between April to November 2014 before his suspension in December by the Ombudsman.
Regarding the January 25 operation, he said Purisima told him to tell Espina “pag nandoon na kayo [sa target site].”
He said he did not inform Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas because he would be breaking the chain of command.
The SAF chief said he knew that there was a possibility that the 84th Company commandos would take on heavier fire if they were caught inside MILF territory in Mamasapano. However, he pointed out the operation was delayed and the SAF commandos were still in the area at daybreak.
Napenas said that while there have been many criticisms about the botched operation that left 44 police commandos dead, he is confident that they did right in killing the terror suspect.
“As long as they are alive, we will continue to be in danger,” he said in Filipino. (MNS)