MANILA, June 4 (Mabuhay) – The sworn statement of alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles has already been turned over to the Office of the Ombudsman, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said Wednesday.
In an interview, De Lima said Napoles’ affidavit was turned over to the Ombudsman on Tuesday, together with Napoles’ application for immunity.
“Yesterday, I officially transmitted to the Ombudsman copies of her affidavits and accompanying request ng kanyang lawyers for immunity. We will be deferring to the judgment of the Ombudsman on that point,” De Lima told reporters after her confirmation hearing at the Senate.
De Lima added that her department will continue checking Napoles’ claims against testimonies of pork barrel scam whistleblowers.
“We are continuing with our vetting, validation and fact-finding. Kasi alam ko karamihan sa mga tao, gusto malaman kung alin sa mga sinabi ni Mrs. Napoles sa kanyang affidavit ang totoo,” she said.
In her affidavit submitted to the Senate blue ribbon committee last week, Napoles claimed she is not the most guilty in the alleged scam. She also said she was a victim of the country’s graft ridden pork barrel system.
Napoles, now detained in connection with a separate illegal detention case, tagged in her sworn statement over 100 lawmakers she supposedly transacted with.
Napoles is facing plunder charges before the Office of the Ombudsman for allegedly orchestrating the fraudulent scheme.
Plunder charges have also been recommended against Senators Ramon Revilla Jr., Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile for supposedly pocketing millions in kickbacks from Napoles’ alleged scam. (MNS)