MANILA, Aug 29 (Mabuhay) — The National Capital Region Police Office is on full alert status due to the protest rally being held by members of the Iglesia ni Cristo in Metro Manila, the spokesperson for the Philippine National Police said.
PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. Wilben Mayor said the full alert status started 6 p.m. Friday.
Meanwhile, Mayor said that police will continue to observe a policy of maximum tolerance toward the protesters.
Earlier in the day, Mandaluyong local government public information officer Jimmy Isidro said that the crowd on Shaw Boulevard was estimated at 1,000 as of 9:30 a.m.
He also said that the local government has an “open communication” with the Iglesia ni Cristo heads, noting that they have issued a permit for the Church members to rally until Sunday.
The protesters have been allowed to hold their rally until Sunday.
Meanwhile, the same television report quoted Iglesia ni Cristo spokesperson Brother Edwil Zabala as saying that there more of their members are joining the rally on Sunday.
The mass action began on Thursday in Manila, where thousands of Iglesia ni Cristo members criticized what they called Justice Secretary Leila de Lima’s meddling in the group’s internal affairs.
The DOJ is looking into charges filed by former Iglesia ni Cristo minister Isaias Samson Jr. against the religious group’s officials for allegedly detaining and harassing him and his family — an accusation denied by Iglesia ni Cristo officials.
The protest moved to EDSA on Friday afternoon, with those who attended the protest in Manila marching to meet other members at the EDSA-Shaw intersection. (MNS)