Nothing to worry about, Palace says following bubonic plague case in China

MANILA, (Mabuhay) — Malacañang assured the public on Thursday that the country’s borders remain closed in light of the COVID-19 pandemic after a case of bubonic plague was recorded in China this week.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Philippines is taking the matter seriously.

“Sineseryoso po natin ‘yan. Pero huwag po kayong mabahala kasi ang pagpasok po ng mga dayuhan sa Pilipinas ay hindi pa po pinapayagan ng malawakan, case-to-case basis lang po,” he said in a televised briefing.

“So sarado pa po ang ating borders at wala pong dapat ikabahala.”

Health authorities in China’s Inner Mongolia region said a farmer contracted the bubonic plague, a bacterial infection that causes fever, chills, headache, fatigue, muscle aches, and swollen lymph nodes.

Bubonic plague can be lethal if not treated promptly with antibiotics.

Earlier this week, the Philippines came up with measures to prevent the spread of a new type of swine flu that is allegedly capable of triggering a pandemic.

Approved by the Philippines’ COVID-19 task force on Monday, the measures included setting up of inter-agency surveillance mechanisms for swine farms and workers especially those regularly exposed to pigs.

The Department of Health, Department of Agriculture, and the Bureau of Customs were also directed to strictly implement the Food Safety Act of 2013, particularly the provision on the handling of imported food at the port of entry.(MNS)

ALSO READ: Philippines warned vs. new wave of HIV infections amid COVID-19 crisis

About the Author

Related Posts