By Atty. James G. Beirne

If you want to obtain a green card to live in the United States, there are several ways to attain permanent resident status. One way is through sponsorship, either through a family member or employer. Eligible individuals may be able to obtain a green card through employment in the United States. It is important to note that if you are seeking an employer sponsored green card, it is a wise to approach this process only with the assistance of a qualified immigration attorney. Immigration matters can be complex, and the wait times for process can be quite long. Having a lawyer assist you in the process can help the matter progress smoothly and in the quickest manner. The Law Offices of James G. Beirne specializes in immigration matters and have been helping people obtain citizenship in the U.S. for many years. Call us for an appointment to learn more about how we can help.

There are four categories of employment sponsored immigration which include:

EB-1 Priority workers;
EB-2 Professionals with advanced degrees, or special abilities;
EB-3 Skilled or professional workers;
EB-4 Special immigrants.
EB-5 Investors

Every year, a maximum of 400,000 employment based green cards are awarded. Each country is allowed to receive 7% of these 400,000 green cards. These are divided into the categories mentioned above.

Some of the more popular sponsorships approved are for immigrants who have special skills or excel at business, science or athletics. Also, immigrants with advanced degrees, doctors and skilled workers with a minimum of two years experience are often approved.

The first step in the process will be that your U.S. employer will be required to fill out a labor certification request and send it to the Employment and Training division for the Department of Labor’s Employment (DOL). The DOL will need to find that there are workers that are qualified and able to accept the job in question. Also by placing an eligible foreign national in this position must not adversely affect current U.S. workers in similar positions.

If you are approved, your employer will be required to submit a petition, called I-140 (Petition for Alien Worker) on your behalf. Once this petition has been approved, a notice will be sent to the employer as well as the National Visa Center.

The petition will await the assignment of a visa number. When your number becomes available you will need to apply for adjustment of status as a permanent resident with Form I-485.

Receiving a green card requires successfully navigating through several steps, which is why it is so important consult with an immigration attorney from the Law Offices of James G. Beirne. Their qualified staff has helped thousands of people solve their immigration problems and they can help you too. There are three offices to serve you: Glendale (818) 552-4500, Cerritos (562) 865-4480 and West Covina (626) 262-4446.


An active member of the State Bar of California and the State Bar of Nevada, James G. Beirne is also a member of the highly respected American Immigration Lawyers Association and Los Angeles County Bar Association Immigration Section. He is admitted to practice before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, all federal district courts in California and Nevada, California state courts, and Nevada state courts. Mr. Beirne has represented clients in numerous immigration cases. His offices are located at 520 E. Wilson Ave., Suite 110, Glendale, CA 91206, and 17215 Studebaker Rd., Suite 380, Cerritos, CA 90703, with telephone numbers (818) 552-4500; (562) 865-4480; and (866) 903-4522. He also has offices at 2640 E. Garvey Ave., Suite 104, West Covina 91791, with tel. no. (626) 262-4446. His newest office is at Valencia Executive Plaza, Suite 200-E, 27201 Tourney Road, Valencia, CA 91355, tel. no. (661) 200-0644.

(Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. Results may vary depending on the facts of a particular case. We make no prediction, warranty or guarantee about the results of any case, nor do we assume any legal liability for the completeness of any information and its impact on the results of any case. Each case is different and results depend on the facts of each case. Consult with and retain counsel of your own choice if you need legal advice.)

Inside Immigration Law