MNS photo

MANILA, Dec 27 (Mabuhay) — It is still too early to say if the number of COVID-19 cases in the National Capital Region will continue to increase after the holidays, independent monitoring group OCTA Research said Monday.

OCTA fellow Dr. Guido David said the group saw a similar uptick of infections during the holiday season last year.

“After the New Year, bumaba na rin naman siya. So this is a possible trajectory. So hindi pa naman tayo overly panicking or overly concerned,” he said.

OCTA over the weekend reported that NCR’s risk classification moved from “very low risk” to “low risk” following an increase in the seven-day average of new COVID-19 cases.

David said the increase was steeper compared to that of last year.

With this development, David reminded the public to still strictly observe health and safety protocols.

“Kailangan lang natin i-remind ‘yung public na mag ingat pa rin tayo dahil andyan pa rin ang virus. Hindi naman porke bumaba na tayo, bumaba na ‘yung bilang ng kaso ay nawala na ‘yung virus,” he said.

Despite this, there is also a chance that the increase will continue, according to David.

“So may dalawang possibilities tayong nakikita ngayon at hindi ko pa masasabi sa ngayon dahil siguro after New Year pa natin makikita or magkaka-clarity sa datos kung ito ay temporary,” he said.

Meanwhile, he advised that the NCR stay under Alert Level 2 for the time being as there is no clear data yet on the COVID-19 situation in the country.

Under Alert Level 2 — the second lowest in the new alert level system — certain establishments and activities are allowed at 50% capacity indoors for fully vaccinated adults (and minors, even if unvaccinated), and 70% capacity outdoors. (MNS)

READ NEXT: OCTA notes slight increase in NCR positivity rate, urges public to follow protocols