Vice President Jejomar Binay walks among his supporters at the Makati City hall on Monday. People gathered at the city hall grounds to show their support for the older Binay and his son, Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, who was earlier served another suspension by the Ombudsman. (MNS photo)

Vice President Jejomar Binay walks among his supporters at the Makati City hall on Monday. People gathered at the city hall grounds to show their support for the older Binay and his son, Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, who was earlier served another suspension by the Ombudsman. (MNS photo)

MANIA, July 1 (Mabuhay) — Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales on Wednesday maintained that she acted in accordance with the law and the evidence when she issued the suspension order against Makati Mayor Junjun Binay and 14 other city officials.

“I always decide in accordance with the law and evidence. Otherwise I have no reason to be here. Para sa kanila wala nang ginawang tama ang Ombudsman,” Morales said in a press briefing, after her suspension order was initially met with defiance by Binay.

Morales candidly admitted that she is getting sick of Binay’s criticisms that the Ombudsman is being used by the administration in prosecuting those in the opposition.

“I am impeachable. If you feel that I have done wrong, go ahead file a complaint. Nabubuwisit na talaga ako. I am apolitical, wala akong pinapanigan,” she said.

Binay, in a speech inside the Makati City Hall Monday afternoon, said the Ombudsman is being used by the administration as conduit in the alleged political harassment against his family, especially since his father, Vice President Jejomar Binay, has been open about his plan to run for president in 2016.

After failing to get a temporary restraining order (TRO) from the Court of Appeals, the younger Binay temporarily stepped down Wednesday morning, two days after the issuance of the suspension order.

Morales said that while Binay’s action can be considered a “healthy development” in the situation at the Makati City hall, “it is unfortunate that it happened only after violence, intimidation and coercion” had already taken place.

Morales has maintained that her office found strong evidence against Binay and the other Makati City Hall officials, which prompted her to issue the suspension order.

“Sa tingin namin, napakalakas ng ebidensiya. Ano ang gusto nila, tumunganga na lang kami. No way!” she said.

The six-month preventive suspension order was in connection with graft and other administrative and criminal complaints against Binay and the other respondents in connection with the alleged irregularities in the construction of a ten-storey building in Makati Science High School. (MNS)