MANILA, June 28 (Mabuhay) — The camp of Senator Manny Pacquiao said the scheduled August 21 bout between the eight-division champ and Errol Spence in Las Vegas is still “on” despite a lawsuit filed against the Philippine boxing icon by Paradigm Sports.

Pacquiao’s camp also said the lawsuit filed by the sports management group has “no legal basis to stop the fight from happening.”

It was announced earlier this month that Pacquiao is slated to face WBC and IBF world welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, USA on August 21.

The eight-division champion was later slapped with a lawsuit seeking to recoup $3,300,000 and requesting an injunction to stop his fight with Spence.

According to a report by The Athletic, Paradigm Sports CEO Auddie Attar was amid negotiations for Pacquiao to fight Mikey Garcia but was veered away by the Filipino boxing icon’s associates Sean Gibbons and Winchell Campos to instead fight Spence.

The lawsuit also alleged that Pacquiao is under no obligation to compete under Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions unless he is fighting Floyd Mayweather who defeated him via unanimous decision in 2015.

In response, Pacquiao attorney Dale Kinsella issued a statement claiming the lawsuit is “frivolous” and threatening to assert their own claims against the sports management group.

“The complaint filed by Paradigm Sports in California state court on Friday is a frivolous effort to interfere with Manny Pacquiao’s upcoming mega fight, and it can and will fail for numerous reasons,” the statement said.

“Moreover, had Manny Pacquiao known that Paradigm Sports appears to have had no intention of fulfilling its contractual obligations, he never would have entered into any relationship with them. Should this matter actually proceed beyond Friday’s filing in a court of law, Mr. Pacquiao will vigorously defend this action, assert his own claims against Paradigm Sports, and seek to recover his attorney’s fees as well.” (MNS)

READ NEXT: 6,871 new COVID-19 infections bring Philippine active cases to 53,447