Palace assures help for Maguindanao folk affected by floods

Evacuees line up for medical check as fears of outbreak threaten schools and other evacuation centers where residents who lost their homes to flashfloods and landslides caused by typhoon Sendong seek shelter. (MNS Photo)

Evacuees line up for medical check as fears of outbreak threaten schools and other evacuation centers where residents who lost their homes to flashfloods and landslides caused by typhoon Sendong seek shelter. (MNS Photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) — Malacañang on Saturday reassured Maguindanao residents affected by floods of assistance especially from the local government units concerned.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the residents will get temporary relief goods while authorities make sure evacuation centers continue to operate so long as they are needed.

“Sinisigurado natin na habang sila ay naroon, nabibigyan sila ng temporary relief goods,” Valte said on government-run dzRB radio.

The local government units and regional government of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao are working together to address their problem, she added.

On Friday night, the  National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said the number of families and towns affected by floods that hit Maguindanao province since last June 13 rose to more than 13,000.

The NDRRMC added the floods have so far caused more than P800,000 in damage to agriculture but this could go higher as the amount covers only one of the 13 affected towns.

The NDRRMC said a breakdown of the affected 13,064 families from 91 barangays included:

  • Ampatuan (assessment still ongoing)
  • Datu Abdullah Sangki, 773 families
  • Datu Montawal, 1,160 families
  • Datu Odin Sinsuat (assessment still ongoing)
  • Datu Piang (assessment still ongoing)
  • Datu Salibo, 300 families
  • Mamasapano, 2,000 families
  • Mother Kabuntalan, 4,467 families
  • Pagalungan (assessment still ongoing)
  • Northern Kabuntalan, 2,095 families
  • Rajah Buayan, 755 families
  • Sharif Saydona (assessment still ongoing)
  • Sultan Sa Barongis, 1,514 families

It added the floods affected seven schools but there was no suspension of classes. The affected schools included:

  • Montay Primary School
  • Balong Elementary School
  • Tumaguinting Elementary School
  • Guiawa Primary School
  • Manampen Elementary School
  • Libungan Elementary School
  • Kabuntalan North District

The floods also damaged P805,000 in damage to agriculture in Datu Piang town, and 100 hectares of corn and 100 hectares of rice in Barangay Ganta in Kabuntalan. (MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts