Palace OKs higher storage fees for overstaying containers

President Benigno S. Aquino III tours the exhibit area upon arrival for the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) Membership Meeting and launch of Mindanao Inclusive Agribusiness Program at the SMX Convention Center in Lanang, Davao City on Monday (September 08). The event aims to rally PBSP members and other Mindanao companies around the idea of inclusive business on priority industries: coffee, cacao, corn, palm oil and rubber, as well as possible investments in Bangsamoro. (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III tours the exhibit area upon arrival for the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) Membership Meeting and launch of Mindanao Inclusive Agribusiness Program at the SMX Convention Center in Lanang, Davao City on Monday (September 08). The event aims to rally PBSP members and other Mindanao companies around the idea of inclusive business on priority industries: coffee, cacao, corn, palm oil and rubber, as well as possible investments in Bangsamoro. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – Malacañang ordered an increase in storage fees for overstaying cargo containers at Manila ports, in another move to decongest the gateway.

Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said new storage fees will be imposed against overstaying containers citing a Philippine Ports Authority memorandum.

The storage fees are as follows:

20-footer container: up from P500 to P5,000

35-footer container: up from P842 to P8,750

40-footer container: up from P962.6 to P10,000

45-footer container: up from P1,082.90 to P11,250

Lacierda said fines will be imposed on the 11th day after the container has been cleared, depending on its size.

There are around 5,000 20-foot equivalent units (TEUs) of overstaying Customs-cleared, ready-to-go containers as of last week.

Lacierda added the new fees are applicable at the Manila International Port, South Harbor and Batangas and Subic Ports. It will take effect 15 days after publication.

President Aquino also signed an Executive Order declaring the Port of Batangas and Subic Bay Freeport as official extensions of the Port of Manila during congestion and other emergency cases.

Malacañang explained incoming or outgoing foreign vessels at the Port of Manila may berth in either Batangas or Subic with the same rules and fees as Manila.

The DOTC will lift the EO once congestion at the Manila ports have eased.(MNS)

About the Author

Related Posts