MANILA, June 22 (Mabuhay) — The Philippines has agreed to lift the deployment ban of workers to Oman, in exchange for the country easing entry restrictions for Filipino travelers.
According to Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) Administrator Bernard Olalia, officials of both parties met on Monday, June 21, to discuss the entry of Filipinos to Oman.
Olalia said the government of Oman explained that they did not intend to ban the entry of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) into the country. The entry of Filipinos into the country was earlier banned.
In exchange, the POEA will lift its order banning the deployment of Filipino to Oman, which the government announced last week.
Olalia did not provide a timeline when restrictions would be lifted, but said this would be triggered by the removal of entry restrictions in Oman.
“Sa madaling salita po, ‘pag ka po nagkaroon na ng lifting sa Oman at tayo ay nag-lift na, ora mismo makakapagpadala na tayo ng OFWs sa Oman,” he said.
[Once Oman lifts its entry restrictions and we lift our deployment ban, we will immediately be able to send OFWs to Oman.]
Olalia said there were some 5,000 Oman-bound OFWs who left the country from January to May, equivalent to 1,000 each month. (MNS)