President Benigno S. Aquino III inspects the facilities of the temporary shelter at the Cogon Relocation Site in Barangay Cogon, Guiuan during the visit to the province of Eastern Samar on Friday (November 07). More than 200 Yolanda survivors will benefit from the 133 housing units. It was in Guiuan where super typhoon Yolanda, the strongest typhoon ever recorded, made its first landfall on November 08, 2013. (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III inspects the facilities of the temporary shelter at the Cogon Relocation Site in Barangay Cogon, Guiuan during the visit to the province of Eastern Samar on Friday (November 07). More than 200 Yolanda survivors will benefit from the 133 housing units. It was in Guiuan where super typhoon Yolanda, the strongest typhoon ever recorded, made its first landfall on November 08, 2013. (MNS photo)

MANILA, Nov 7 (Mabuhay) — On the eve of the first anniversary of the super typhoon that devastated parts of central Philippines, President Benigno Aquino III on Friday said a 27-kilometer road dike in Leyte is set to be constructed early next year to protect residents there from future storm surges.

In his speech after inspecting the Guiuan Public Market and relocation site in Eastern Samar, Aquino said he is just waiting for the recommendation to approve Tacloban-Palo-Tanauan Road Dike.

“Kalsada po ito na four meters above the sea level, magiging natural na dike ito upang pigilan ang pagragasa ng tubig,” he said.

After getting assurance from Public Works and Highway Secretary Rogelio Singson, the President said the construction will start first quarter of 2015.

Some 1.47 million households were affected when Typhoon Yolanda hit the Visayas on November 8 last year. Over 6,000 people died from the catastrophe. (MNS)