MANILA, Sept 17 (Mabuhay) — Even while he is in Europe, President Benigno Aquino III is on top of government preparations for a possible eruption of Mayon Volcano in Albay, Malacañang said Wednesday.
Presidential spokesman Secretary Edwin Lacierda said at a press briefing that Aquino is in touch with National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Center (NDRRMC) officials for updates on the volcano’s status.
“The NDRRMC updates the President. Wala tayong problema doon with respect to the Mayon Volcano,” Lacierda told reporters on Wednesday afternoon.
He also assured that the national government will provide aid to the Albay government officials, led by Governor Joey Salceda, “in case they ask for our assistance.”
“Hindi naman nagkukulang ang national government sa pagtulong. Tuwing humihingi ng tulong si Governor Salceda, for instance, kapag may bagyo, may kailangang i-preposition goods, we provide that,” Lacierda said.
Albay has already been placed under a state of calamity due to Mayon Volcano’s heightened activity in the past days.
Close to 3,000 families have so far been evacuated from the six-kilometer permanent danger zone around the volcano. Some 4,200 families are also set to be evacuated at the extended danger zone.
Aquino is currently in Belgium for the second leg of his Europe visit. He is scheduled to fly on Wednesday afternoon to France, where he will meet with top government officials, business groups and the Filipino community in Paris. (MNS)