Police Deputy Director General Ager P Ontog Jr, Deputy Chief PNP for Operation/ Commander National Task Force SAFE 2013 gives out guidance regarding the deployment of PNP personnel in the field especially in areas vulnerable to attacks of lawless elements in response to the call for Secure and Fair Election (SAFE 2013).

Police Deputy Director General Ager P Ontog Jr, Deputy Chief PNP for Operation/ Commander National Task Force SAFE 2013 gives out guidance regarding the deployment of PNP personnel in the field especially in areas vulnerable to attacks of lawless elements in response to the call for Secure and Fair Election (SAFE 2013).

MANILA (Mabuhay) – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday relieved its spokesperson from his post, but officials were tight-lipped as to the reason why.

Chief Supt. Wilben Mayor, who has been PNP spokesperson for four months, has already been informed of his relief, said Senior Supt. Robert Po, deputy chief of the PNP Public Information Office.

Sources said Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo Jr. will replace Mayor.

The relief occurred less than a week after 44 elite members of the PNP’s Special Action Force were killed in an encounter with Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) and Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.

The government has signed a peace agreement with the MILF in March last year, offering the group greater autonomy, economic and political power in return for the rebels surrendering their weapons and ending a decades-long insurgency. (MNS)