By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan

PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo (PNA photo by Lloyd Caliwan)

MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday said all of its online services have been indefinitely suspended as part of precautionary measures, in the wake of an alleged breach of some of its online systems.

“We regret any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work to enhance the system’s security and integrity. Should you have any technical concerns, you are requested to contact and request for any assistance from the ITMS (Information Technology Management Service),” PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said in a press conference in Quezon City.

This came after an alleged attack on the data system of the police force’s Firearms and Explosives Office (FEO) which may have compromised stored data, which followed last week’s reported breach of the PNP’s Logistics Data Information and Management System.

Fajardo said the shutdown would give way to an ongoing assessment and investigation on the reported breach.

She, however, said frontline services are still available at the PNP’s regional offices and Camp Crame.

“Sa ngayon, stand alone muna yung mga systems natin at hindi naman maantala yung delivery ng public service through our frontline services (For now, our systems are stand alone and the deliver of public service through our frontline services would not be affected). It would be prudent on the part of the PNP to really shut down all frontline services to make sure na hindi na rin ito mata-target ng ibang (these would not be targeted by another) attempt to breach or hack our systems but hopefully our ACG (Anti-Cybercrime Group) and ITMS would fast-track the ongoing assessment and investigation,” she said.

She said they have coordinated with Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to initiate the measures to take down sites that were monitored as uploading the compromised data to prevent these from being exposed.

She said a hacker, “PH1NS”, was identified as behind the attack.

“We are also trying to validate through the help of DICT if this threat actor is also responsible doon sa (in) other attempts to breach the data system ng ibang (of other) government agencies katulad ng (like) DOST (Department of Science and Technology), DepEd (Department of Education) and other agencies which were reported to also been victimized by this threat actor,” she said. (PNA)