MANILA, July 29 (Mabuhay) — The Philippine National Police is ready to cooperate with the Commission on Human Rights in probing Monday’s dispersal of groups protesting President Benigno Aquino III’s State of the Nation Address.
The PNP will help shed light on the tension where police used water cannons to disperse the protesters.
But as the PNP hierarchy gave the assurance, the Quezon City police maintained it did not violate any human rights.
On Monday, the Commission on Human Rights said it will probe the incident, with CHR Metro Manila head Gilbert Boiser saying the use of water cannons may have been uncalled for.
But Metro Manila police head Director Carmelo Valmoria also accused some of the protesters of violating human rights by bringing minors to the protest actions.
“Ang human rights ng mamamayan inaapakan nila. Ginamit nila bata at babae,” Valmoria said.
He also said the use of water cannons was a “calibrated” response, saying things could have been worse if the protesters broke through the barriers.
At least seven people were taken into custody following the confrontation.
Bagong Alyansang Makabayan secretary general Renato Reyes Jr. said those taken into custody had been released. (MNS)