President Benigno S. Aquino III leads his official family in prayer before presiding over the meeting on Yolanda rehabilitation updates at the Aguinaldo State Dining Room of the Malacañan Palace on Friday (May 16, 2014). (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III leads his official family in prayer before presiding over the meeting on Yolanda rehabilitation updates at the Aguinaldo State Dining Room of the Malacañan Palace on Friday (May 16, 2014). (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – A lawmaker is calling for a joint public hearing on the government’s housing assistance program for families affected by typhoon “Yolanda” (international name: Haiyan) in Cebu.

Cebu Rep. Benhur L. Salimbangon said that to date, out of the eight municipalities and one city in his district, only one municipality has received its share of the government’s shelter assistance.

Likewise, only a portion of the affected households in the city have received their share of the government’s assistance.

Salimbangon said his district was badly affected by ‘Yolanda,’ which struck the country November 8 last year and claimed lives and property.

He now wants the House Committee on Housing and Urban Development and the Senate Committee on Urban Development, Housing and Resettlement to probe how the government’s shelter assistance fund was used.

The lower house approved a P14.6 billion supplemental budget in 2013 for ‘Yolanda’ recovery and rehabilitation.

He added that an additional P160 billion was allocated for Yolanda recovery and rehabilitation fund which included housing assistance.

“A significant number of Yolanda affected families in my district do not see and feel government’s recovery and rehabilitation efforts. They think that the government’s post Yolanda recovery and rehabilitation program in terms of housing assistance is unsatisfactory,” Salimbangon said. (MNS)