MANILA, May 29 (Mabuhay) — Starting June 1, resorts in areas under a general community quarantine (GCQ) are allowed to operate at 30 percent capacity following the approval by the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF).
The Department of Tourism had asked the IATF to allow resort operations under this condition, according to a 24 Oras report by Maki Pulido on Friday.
However, Tourism Secretary Berna Puyat said aside from the limited capacity, accommodation establishments could only allow visitors from one household.
Further, only persons 18-65 years old are allowed to enter, while pregnant women and those with comorbidities are prohibited.
“Puwede na rin mag-swimming pero dapat same household,” Puyat said.
Accommodation establishments that would be allowed to operate under these conditions include the hundreds of resorts in Pansol, Laguna that have so far earned next nothing in this year’s peak season.
Last week, some Pansol resorts were found to be illicitly accepting visitors despite the prohibition.
Some residents were also seen plunging into the Pansol river, including children, amid the summer heat.
Pansol resort owners said the announcement provided relief for their businesses, as they said they already lost about P500,000 following three months of closure.
The DOT also recommended allowing leisure travel in other parts of the country starting June 1. (MNS)