MANILA (Mabuhay) -The Supreme Court has deferred ruling on the administrative case filed against Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Gregory Ong over his supposed ties with alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles.
In a media briefing Tuesday, SC Public Information Office chief and spokesman Theodore Te said voting on the case did not push through although he did not give the reason why.
A court insider, however, said the SC deferred action because of the absence of Associate Justice Jose Catral Mendoza, who has yet to return after extending his wellness leave.
The SC earlier this year motu proprio or in its own initiative initiated an administrative case against Ong.
Leading the investigation was SC Associate Justice Angelina Sandoval-Gutierrez, who was recently appointed by President Benigno Aquino III as a member of the Judicial and Bar Council.
During the investigation, Ong was made to explain why he had been identified by Marina Sula and Benhur Luy, whistleblowers in the alleged pork barrel scam case, as a Napoles contact.
Sula had said in her affidavit that she had seen Ong visit Napoles at her office at the Discovery Center in Ortigas. She said she saw the two conversing in the office conference room.
Ong is the chairman of the Sandiganbayan’s Fourth Division, which had acquitted Napoles in a malversation thru falsification of public documents case. The case involved the sale of 500 Kevlar helmets to the Philippine Marines in 1998.
Napoles, currently detained on illegal detention charges and is facing separate graft and plunder charges, is accused of using bogus non-government organizations to misuse lawmakers’ Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), the formal name of pork barrel. (MNS)