Makati City Hall department heads and employees read a letter of support for Mayor Junjun Binay after the acting mayor, Romulo Peña, issued an assumption of office order to all employees on Friday. Peña assumed office after the Court of Appeals' TRO on Binay's suspension.(MNS photo)

Makati City Hall department heads and employees read a letter of support for Mayor Junjun Binay after the acting mayor, Romulo Peña, issued an assumption of office order to all employees on Friday. Peña assumed office after the Court of Appeals’ TRO on Binay’s suspension. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) — Makati Mayor Junjun Binay’s decision to temporarily leave city hall and abide by the six-month preventive suspension of the Ombudsman will allow the Senate to gather more proof in connection with the corruption allegations his family is facing, Senator Antonio Trillanes said Wednesday.

“Malaking epekto ang pagbaba ni Mayor Junjun Binay sa aming imbestigasyon kasi marami kaming makakalap na ebidensya sa city hall,” Trillanes said in a text message.

Trillanes, a staunch critic of Mayor Binay’s father, Vice President Jejomar Binay, is one of three senators who led the Senate blue ribbon subcommittee investigation on the supposed involvement of the Binays in the allegedly overpriced construction of the Makati City Hall Building II.

The panel is also looking into other corruption issues against the Binays and their allies.

The Vice President and his son are also facing graft charges before the Ombudsman due to supposed overpricing of a Makati Science High School building.

The Makati City Hall has been the second home of the Binay family since Vice President Binay was appointed mayor in 1986. Since then, his wife, Dra. Elenita and son, Junjun, have also been elected as city mayor.

Meanwhile, Trillanes said Mayor Binay’s decision is a challenge to acting city mayor Romulo “Kid” Peña Jr. to step up and perform the duties expected of him.

“Isa rin itong malaking hamon kay acting Mayor Kid Peña para maipakita sa mga taga Makati na mas malaki at mas marami ang magiging benepisyong makukuha nila kapag hindi kurakot ang namumuno sa kanila,” he said.

Mayor Binay earlier alleged that the ruling Liberal Party is behind the “grand plan” of taking over the local government of Makati through Pena. The ruling party has since denied the allegation. (MNS)